On December 1st a meeting was held with all of the CIF Commissioners from throughout the state of California to get an update and discuss all options regarding the pending start of our Season 1 Sports (Cross Country, Football, Traditional Competitive Cheer, Volleyball, & Water Polo), previously scheduled to begin on Saturday, December 12, 2020. At the conclusion of the meeting the decision was made to postpone the start of all Season 1 Sports, until the point in which updated guidance has been released by the State of California. The State CIF Office does not expect the California's Public Health Department will issue any guidance allowing for schools to return to full practice and competition until after January 1, 2021, at the earliest.
Currently, athletic competitions are not permissible for any teams at the Youth or High School level in California, based upon the guidance released from the State's Department of Public Health on August 3,
2020. Approximately one month ago, we were informed that the state was set to release updated guidance that would encompass all Youth Sports, from which we would be able to solidify, or adjust our current plans of returning to athletic competitions at the high school level. Without this updated guidance, we simply do not have the information required to officially open a Season of Sport for our section.
In his Press Conference on November 16, 2020, Governor, Gavin Newsom, shared that this guidance would not be released due to the
significant increase of Covid-19 Pandemic cases across the state.
At this point, all CIF Sections across the state have made the extremely difficult decision to officially postpone the start date for our Season 1 Sports, until the point in which we receive updated guidance from the State of California's Public Health Department. Once we have this vital information, we will be able to re-evaluate our current plan, make any necessary adjustments, and potentially set a new date to open our Season 1 Sports for all our student athletes and coaches that make up the CIF-San Diego Section. We thoroughly understand that this is not the information you were hoping to receive from CIF offices today, and look forward to the date in which we are able to provide you with an updated plan and date for our Season 1 Sports.
On an encouraging note, in its press release issued this afternoon, the CIF State Office also made the decision to cancel all CIF State
and Regional Championship contests previously scheduled for Season 1 Sports. This move will provide all sections throughout the state, additional time to adjust the length of the seasons for each sport. The State Offices also made the decision to move the sport of Boys Volleyball to Season 2, returning to the season in which it is played on an annual basis. As a section we will meet with our leadership in the next couple days to review these decisions and make any necessary adjustments to our current plans for the year.
Our sports calendar for Season 1 Sports, and Season 2 Sports, for the 2020-2021 school year will remain in
place at this time. Once the Youth Sports guidance is released from the California Department of Health, the CIF-San Diego Section will adjust the Season 1 Sports calendar accordingly. We may not know what this will look like at this juncture, but as we have stated over the last 6 months all options will be on the table for
regular and post-season play.
Thank you very much for your patience and support, it is deeply appreciated!